d" (i thought it was funny that he has a poem in here about the graveyard at Red Cloud because everyone else had mentioned a graveyard at their boarding school) in the poem there is a part that says something about the red granite tombstone. It lies flat on its face and weighs about 400 pounds, it always falls over no matter how many times the priest would set it back up, and when a thunderstorm comes over there is an outline of Satan's face. Apparently the face always gets chiseled away but it reappears again. "Sounds impossible, doesnt it? But I've seen the stone, as have hundred of Mission kids before and after me and none of us can explain it, we only accept it."Sister Evil, Who Wasn't; a poem about the school nurse, her name was Sister Ivo. Dr. McNeil was a white man who lived outside of Kyle, SD at Three Mile Creek, where Tim spent his summers. Albert Rokey, a maintenance man who sexually assulted some of the girls between the ages of 9 & 12. Father "Eddie Boy" Edward was the principle of the Mission after World War II. Tim wrote about when the boys found a dog and tried to keep it in a culvert, and again when they found a kitten they tried to keep it in the outhouse. Each attempts at trying to keep a pet was frivilous, because each time Father Edward found the pet and killed it; he shot the dog and threw the kitten into a tree, smashing its head. In the poem about Father Edward titled "Eddie Boy" it mentions how he used a braided whip he called "The Cat" and he would say 'assume the position' where the boys would grab their ankles. The last line of the poem reads, "How could a priest be so cruel?"

Loreli,
ReplyDeleteAs I read through your posting the emotion of sadness came over me. The magic of poetry to express his memories of those who left this world and entered the spirit world is very powerful. Although I have not read his book, I find that I may need to get my hands on the book this summer.
The later poems that you shared really made me feel uneasy. I am certainly a person who cares for animals so when I read about some of the actions that Father Edward took to rid the animals I became quite upset. I’m not sure if I could have read those pages through their entirety.
However, the red tombstone certainly has my curiosity peaked!
I really want to read your book after your finished! It's pretty freaky how the face appears over and over, and how you personally seen it yourself. I am saddened by the poor children who were tortured and abused.
ReplyDeletewhen I went home this last weekend I talked with my dad about the red tombstone, he laughed at me, "you're just now hearing about this?" he was supposed to show me to the stone, but we ran short on time plus it was too muddy at the cemetary. He said he knows where it is, "you can see the scratches and stuff on the stone, its really freaky. just dont try to go there at night!"
ReplyDeleteYou must let us know when you get the chance to see this tombstone!
ReplyDelete